Are you thinking about building your dream home? Here are some important questions to ask your homebuilder.
1. How many years have you been in business, and how many homes have you built in the last year?
2. Is your company licensed to build in this area?
3. What types of insurance do you have (general liability, workers comp, etc.) and what are the limits of each?
4. How will I be protected against subcontractor liens on my home?
5. Can you supply the names of your five most recent home buyers so I can check your references? (Also check with local Realtors who have worked with or may know this builder.)
6. What sets you apart from other builders in the area?
7. How long does it normally take to build a home of this size?
8. How many other homes are you building now and how do you manage crews across all the projects to finish them on time?
9. Will our contract provide a completion date and penalties if the home isn’t finished on schedule?
10. Will I have a dedicated project manager?
11. If something happens to the primary person building my house, who will complete the build?
12. What energy-saving features do your homes offer?
13. Do you build only from your floor plans or can I supply my own?
14. How and when can I make changes or upgrades before and during construction?
15. Will our construction agreement include a complete list of detailed specifications and allowances?
16. Which permits and fees will be required to build this home and are they included in your price?
17. Does the community have a homeowners’ association? If so, what are its rules and fees?
18. How and when will the final price for my home be determined?
19. How often and when will I have access to the home during construction?
20. What’s your process for quality inspection during construction and at final walkthrough, and to address any changes that are identified?
21. Will you allow us to check for defects before we release the final payment?
22. What type of warranty do you offer?
23. How will you handle our deposit if we decide to cancel the contract before construction starts?
[Sources: National Association of Home Builders, H2builders. com, newhomesource.com, Florida Realtors ®]
Thinking about buying or selling a home? You’ve come to the right place! Allow Dalton Wade Real Estate group to be your guide – find an agent ready to assist you, learn about communities and neighborhoods, search for all Florida Real Estate listings, while providing you with an exceptional experience – search www.daltonwade.com